Thursday, March 12, 2015

Review: the Dolphin

By now, y'all know I was at Disney last week for a conference.  I did not know the Swan and Dolphin has a convention center on the Dolphin side, and that's where my room was.  I didn't know that in advance, so I had the cab driver drop me off at the Swan, and I walked across to the Dolphin after I learned where my room was.  All of that was at 8:30pm because my flight was delayed an hour and forty minutes out of Dallas.  Blah!  Word of warning, the Magical Express does not go to the Swan or Dolphin.  Park transportation buses and boats do, but ME does not.


Luckily, I woke up to this view the next morning.  Not bad for a working conference, huh?  My room was quiet, and the bed was huge, but the rest of the room was kind of small.  The vanity area had one sink and not much vanity space.  Hey, a woman has to spread things out, you know.  And the actual bathroom was tiny.  I felt the door was going to hit the tub, but it did swing fully open.  I'd say the bed was a king, which made it great to spread out and get comfy.  It was pretty easy for me to fall asleep each night.

The location can't be beat since it's right with the Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club.  I walked over to the Boardwalk Bakery a few times for breakfast, which felt great.  I could get outside and stretch my legs before I had to sit inside all day.  Then we could get outside and walk around the lagoon after the sessions.  The first evening was gorgeous.  There was a breeze that kept things cool, and the humidity from the morning was gone.


The one complaint I have is the Friday of my conference, a cheer convention invaded.  To put it mildly, cheer was never my thing.  I don't have anything against cheer, but when so many girls are swarming over the lobby, it's very off putting.  I never had an issue, but one person I met at the conference did have to call security at 11:30 Friday night because the hotel put cheerers in the room next to hers, and they wouldn't shut up.  Umm, Dolphin, whatever happened to blocking off rooms?  If you have a working conference, put those people as far away from the others.  The organization could've been a lot better, especially when my conference's committee plans these things years in advance.

For families, I might suggest booking a different hotel than the Dolphin.  I don't know about the Swan, but the Dolphin either has rooms with a king bed or double beds.  My room did have a foldout couch, but I honestly don't think there was enough room for it.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting review! I've never stayed there but it does look nice...and I didn't know it had a convention side either! I love that you were able to walk to Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast! A conference at Disney sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only locations are initially announced, but when they said the conference would be at the S&D, I was interested.

      Delete
  2. We loved the Dolphin but had a bit different experience. I guess I still need to get my review up from a previous trip! I wonder why all the cheerleaders weren't staying at All Star Sports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hotel itself was good, and the location can't be beat. I did wonder about the cheerleaders. All-Star is so much closer to WWoS.

      Delete
  3. Ya I would imagine a room next to cheerers would be annoying. But I saw this resort when I visited Orlando and it looked so beautiful and like you said a great location!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful. If my room had been high enough, I would've been able to see the EPCOT fireworks. They have a great quick service café on the first floor near the gym too.

      Delete