Friday, March 20, 2015

Five Signs of Spring

Spring has started, and there are always ways for people to tell.

1) Spring races - might sound strange, since it's not weather, but the LA marathon feels like it's the kick off to spring.  It's the weekend where many races are held and it just seems like it's the start of the spring racing season.  I know next year that marathon will be in February since it's the Olympic marathon qualifier but this particular weekend in March signals spring is coming.

2) Blue bonnets - The state flower of Texas, and a very spring symbol.  I'm sure DC-ites feel that way about the Cherry blossoms.  Blue bonnets are in bloom for about a month, and every family has the obligatory picture of their kids in a field of blue bonnets (my parents do!).  If not kids, then dogs.


3) Fire ant killer - fire ants are a major pain in Texas, and when I hear radio ads for fire ant killer, I know it's spring.  These usually start in April as prep for summer.

4) Easter - my family is far from religious, and I've always thought of spring when Easter rolls around.  OK, if Easter's early then it doesn't feel like spring, but when it's in April, the weather usually cooperates.

5) Tornadoes - certainly not a fun one, but spring thunder storms can bring tornadoes.  It's warm enough in the afternoons when a cold front comes through, the storms can be whoppers.  If it doesn't bring a tornado, then hail.  At least the parking garage at work is done so my car is covered.


Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!


14 comments:

  1. That scene from the Flower and Garden Festival is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see Epcot at this time of year. Our trip is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! It was so much fun to see all the flowers and the gorgeous colors at EPCOT.

      Delete
  2. I DEFINITELY miss bluebonnets, but I do NOT miss the ants - sheesh! I totally forgot about that! Texas ants are nearly indestructible, too, don't you think? Ha! They are a special breed! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard my first radio ad for fire ant killer today. I started laughing since I included those on this list.

      Delete
  3. Tornadoes! Yikes! I was caught in a tornado once and it was the scariest experience of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had tornadoes in the area but I haven't seen them. It is a little scary when we have to move to the tornado shelters at work and the sirens are going off.

      Delete
  4. i love blue bonnets - so gorgeous. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me very happy when I see my first blue bonnets every spring.

      Delete
  5. Ah, the tornadoes. We supposedly live in tornado alley but thankfully we don't get very many. I always think blue flowers are so pretty because that color is rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue is very pretty and they stand out against the green grass. I haven't seen any yet but April is really their season.

      Delete
  6. Blue bonnets are gorgeous, especially large fields of them! :) I love this post and couldn't agree more with you about Easter - I don't like it when it falls early because it's usually too cold, April is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very partial to blue bonnets. Easter should always have great weather for the egg hunts and stuff.

      Delete
  7. Blue bonnets are always a big sign of spring for me. This is probably going to be our last spring in Texas for a few years and I am determined that we will get blue bonnet pictures with our dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we have a good crop this year. I don't know what the ice storms did but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be fine. We have dogwoods at work and those are in full bloom.

      Delete