Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Building that Base

Tuesdays on the Run with April, Patty, and Erika.



It's time for me to up my game.  I realized during my last 2.5 mile run my base sucks.  There's no other word for it.  When I make progress, I back down the next week, but it's time I started pushing myself.  If I want to have a strong 5k, I need to consistently hit 2 miles in my workouts now.  Anything beyond 2 miles and I start losing my form and the remaining distance ain't pretty.  I've decided to take the leap and not do runs under 2 miles so I can continue to build.  After 2 miles, I only have 1.1 to go.

As a side note to running, y'all know how much I love Sweaty Bands, but recently I'd been working out without them.  Yeah, not gonna happen again.  A couple hair wisps landed in my eye on Saturday and it hurt like crazy.   I need to wear one of however many Sweaty Bands I have during every workout.  My wisps are getting longer and need to be kept in check.

14 comments:

  1. I have so many sweaty bands. Thy are the greatest headbands. Thy really do keep every fly away back. Good luck in continuing running your two miles. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a small bin to put all my Sweaty Bands in. They were overflowing their last spot and I wanted to keep them together.

      Delete
  2. You're going to get there, Lesley! Keep up the great work and I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2 miles is a better springboard to 3 than anything less than 2.

      Delete
  3. I can't stand to run without a headband on! I've got fine hair and it always falls out of a pony or braid! Good luck on getting to that strong 5k! Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of my hair is fine, but my wisps have always been a problem.

      Delete
  4. Ponytail holder, headbands, sweatbands, clips - I've got so many things in my hair just to keep it off my forehead and out on my eyes. I completely get it! Keep up your good work! You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had clips and bobby pins until my hair got to a certain length. It's amazing how much work I had to do to try to keep it in place.

      Delete
  5. Keep at it - it will get easier. Have you tried going the full three by running the first two and then walking the third or run/walk the third? That might be a way to build the base without injury or excessive fatigue? And I am a sweatyband/sparkly soul fanatic. My hair is growing out from a short style, but I have thin little wispy hairs all over and that does drive me nuts if they stick to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent' done the third mile yet just due to my knee. I always set a distance but then gauge how my knee's doing before I push farther.

      Delete
  6. I don't ever workout without wearing a headband. I hate having flyaways in my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I went without a headband, but never again. I was desperately clawing at my hair to get it out of my eyes.

      Delete
  7. It's hard to build up after a long injury this i know. But a lot of it is in our minds, I learned that too:) I think your idea is a great approach to helping get over the mind part of it and knowing you can run more!
    I can't run with headbands, I find they are useless (for me) I am a hat girl, I love having it all held back into place, and I love that if I am running into the sun or wind I can tip the hat forward to keep the sun/weather off my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know a lot of this is mental, but when I'm tired and the end isn't pretty, I also know it's physical.

      I can't wear hats and that goes back to high school sports. We weren't allowed and now I just can't do it.

      Delete