Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Bookworm Wednesday: Sarah Woolson Mysteries

I love it when I find a good historical mystery series that's centered in the US.  Most of the mysteries I read take place in England, but when I stumbled on the Sarah Woolson mysteries, I was intrigued, to say the least.  The mysteries take place during "Victorian" San Francisco.  I love San Francisco, but I will admit I do have difficulty picturing what SF looked like in those days.  I've never really seen pictures of it, and the 1906 earthquake must've changed things up quite a bit.


The main character, Sarah Woolson, comes from a prominent political family in San Francisco, and even in the US, she is expected to marry well and not think about having a career.  Sarah, however, is a certified lawyer, and is determined to practice.  Her practice and curiosity provide the cases for each mystery in the series, and the books take the reader all over San Francisco, from the posh homes to the slums.  In a way, the book presents the same kind of trouble independent women faced in England, but I get a history lesson at the same time about one of my favorite cities.


The year is 1880, the place San Francisco. Intelligent, outspoken Sarah Woolson is a young woman with a goal and the fortitude to achieve it. She has always dreamed of becoming a lawyer. The trouble is, everyone believes women belong in the home---that it is not only unnatural, but against God's will for them to seek a career.

When Sarah finagles an interview with one of the city's most prestigious law firms, no one thinks she has a prayer of being hired. Except Sarah. Using her brains and a little subterfuge, she not only manages to become the firm's newest (and only female) associate attorney, she also acquires her first client---a lovely young society matron suspected of brutally stabbing to death her wealthy but abusive husband. Sarah is sure of her client's innocence, but the revelation of the woman's secret lover may make that innocence impossible to prove. 

When four more victims fall prey to the killer's knife, Sarah fears she has bitten off more than she can chew. Bucking her boorish employer and the judicial system, Sarah finds herself embroiled in shady legal maneuvers, a daring Chinatown raid, and a secret and very scandalous sex club in this irresistible blend of history, romance, and murder.

6 comments:

  1. I don't usually read these types of books but sounds interesting! I need to read more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so much and love so many series. As long as the writer keeps writing, I'll always have books to read.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great book! I actually just finished one called Steadfast Heart that was also based in the early American days, in both Seattle and San Fran. Sometimes it's just nice to read about a different time, especially if the author does a good job recreating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look that one up. If the author is good, they'll keep my attention and make want to read all the books.

      Delete
  3. I'm not big on history books. They remind me of something I would read in school. However I do like a good mystery book.-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certain authors I don't read because of that exact reason. I couldn't read Great Expectations in high school and so far, besides a Christmas Carol, I don't read Dickens.

      Delete