Friday, February 27, 2015

Updated Bucket List

Friday Five is a free topic day, so I'll share my bucket list.  Ever since my injury, I've overhauled the races I want to do some day, and they're all 10k's.  The 10k is mounting a comeback in popularity, and why not?  6.2 miles is a good distance to test yourself, and I find that more fun than a 5k.  For whatever reason, miles 2-3 in a 5k take forever.  Am I the only one who feels that way?

1) Bolder Boulder - the Bolder Boulder is just a 10k, and is held on Memorial Day every year.  I discovered the start line is one block away from my parents' apartment building, so I could walk to the start line.  I'm looking at this as a race in 2016 if I can keep building.

the Flat Irons - running joke in the family
2) Marine Corp 10k - I really like the course map for the 10k.  There is no way (I think) that my body would let me build for a marathon, and I'm fine with that.  If there's one thing I've learned since 2013, it's what my body can and cannot do.  A marathon may just be too much.

3) Coronado 10k - held over Valentine's Day, the Coronado 10k is on Coronado island off San Diego.  When the weather is so up and down during February in Dallas, what could be better than a SoCal race?

4) Star Wars 10k - currently only at Disneyland, I was very envious of the Stormtrooper medal Disney made for the 10k.  How many people can say they have a medal with a Stormtrooper on it?  I know there's hop for a Star Wars race weekend at Disney World, but I'll take the Disneyland race.  I've done 3 races at Disney World and am ready for one at Disneyland.

5) Capitol Statesman 10k - held in Austin every April, it starts by going across the Congress Ave. bridge (don't wake the bats!) and finishes adjacent to the start line.  Plus driving down to Austin will give me an excuse to stop at the Czech Stop in West.

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!

26 comments:

  1. These all sound like GREAT races, Lesley! Woo hoo! How exciting! I have heard so much about the Boulder Boulder 10K; it would be a long trip for 6.2 miles, but I'd love to participate someday. Thanks so much for sharing your updated list; hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a couple people who have done the Bolder Boulder. I've been looking at this for a couple years as a possibility.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lot of great 10ks. You don't hear them as much as marathons. It's nice to have that distance as an option. I did the Marine Corp marathon and it was awesome! I bet you still will be able to take in some great sites along the 10k course. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The map makes it look like the 10k goes by many DC sites. It splits off from the marathon course a lot sooner and meets at the same finish (at least what I can tell).

      Delete
  3. I love the 10k distance! There really should be more of them :) I would also like to do Bolder Boulder someday. Sounds like a great race and it would be fun to see all the elites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 10k is becoming more popular and more big race weekends are adding it.

      Delete
  4. I really love the 10k distance too. It's my very favorite and sadly there aren't many around here. The only two in my area that I know of are trail runs. There's one locally on Thanksgiving that's a great course, but we're always in Orlando that week! The runDisney 10ks are all really perfect. The one in Coronado must be absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only done one 10k race, for rD corral placement, but when I do 6-mile runs, I do push a little bit more so I can hit the 10k mark.

      Delete
  5. Which Disney World races have you done so far? What ones would you recommend? I did the Disney World Marathon Weekend Half Marathon and would also like to do the Wine and Dine, but don't have any others that I HAVE to do on my list yet. Well besides the Disneyland Paris half! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the half during Marathon Weekend, the Princess half, and my first ever race at Disney was Mickey's Halloween 5k in 2010. It was the 5k with W&D when the race weekend was in October.

      Delete
  6. I love 10k's and they are certainly some of my faves too. I always forget about the MCM 10k I may do that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people who have done that 10k and loved it. I think running in DC would be fun, and the 10k is the top of my list of DC races.

      Delete
  7. These look like great races!
    Great race bucket list!
    I really love the 10k distance, its just long enough to be able to get warmed up and zoned into the run, but short enough that you can still enjoy it and not have to worry about walking weird the next day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or taking up a weekend to run and recover. That's why I liked the half marathon, but I think I did too many too soon and my leg tightened up.

      Delete
  8. I think the 10K is a great race distance. Good for you for so positively switching up your goals in response to your injury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 10k too, and these all sound like so much fun. I'm one of those who just has fun during races. Sure I want to push myself, but having fun is more important.

      Delete
  9. I would like a medal with a Stormtrooper on it! I've done fewer 10ks than any other distance. I'm trying to get better at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what hooked me on the Star Wars 10k. I want that medal, and running in Disneyland would be a bonus.

      Delete
  10. boulder boulder is on my list! and don't rule out a marathon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ruled it out, but I've stopped looking at possible ones. If it happens down the road, then great! I'm not one to say never.

      Delete
  11. I'd love to run Marine Corps one day, but I have the feeling my body will be much happier with me running the 10k instead of the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm sure my legs will feel much better after a 10k vs a marathon.

      Delete
  12. These all sound like great races. I agree that the 10K distance is a great one! A block away from your parents? Sounds perfect to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I realized that, the wheels started turning in my head. If I can continue to build, I can absolutely have that as a goal for 2016.

      Delete
  13. These all sound like fun races especially the Marine Corp 10k!! I really need to get on my race schedule for this year, I have some tentative things I'm thinking about but I haven't registered for anything yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not registering much this year, only when I'm comfortable with the distance. Maybe a couple 5k's that are fun. I need a time for Boulder if I want to do it next year.

      Delete