Thursday, February 26, 2015

the Right Footwear

Correct footwear is always important.  When we go to the LRS to get shoes, they fit us so our feet are given the correct support they need.  There is no standard shoe because everyone's feet is different and every person is different.  Arch support and biomechanics are just the tip of the iceberg when we need new shoes.


I've discovered the same should be said about non-running shoes.  I don't know how some women can wear stilettos, but I'm not one of them.  Before my knee issues, I couldn't wear them because I have weak ankles from spraining them so much playing soccer.  Now, if I wear anything above a kitten heal, I feel it in my knee.  I don't know if it's the ITBS or a different spot, but it limits the kind of shoes I can wear at work.  Plus I hate heals so this gives me a good excuse.

Sunday I finally came to terms that I needed to get rid of my UGGs.  Either they weren't providing the support my knee needs, or I've used all the support they had in the 7 years I've had them.  Believe me, it hurt when I got rid of them.  Those shoes are so warm and it can get plenty cold here.  But this weekend proved to me I couldn't wear them anymore.  15 minutes in them and after I got home and was doing stuff in the kitchen, I felt a tweak in my knee.  I've been feeling that tweak whenever I wore them in the past few months, and it was time to face facts.  So long, UGGs :(

8 comments:

  1. Getting rid of shoes is sad, especially ones that you love. But you have to pay attention to your feet the older you get. Back in the day I used to wear stilettos all the time in college. I liked the higher the better bc I am so darn short. But not anymore. I need to do some spring cleaning. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could wear heels but even 2-inch heels give me problems now. Too bad because I have a couple of really cute pairs.

      Delete
  2. I would be so sad to get rid of my Uggs but I have had mine for about 7 years too. I try not to wear them too often because I know they're not the best, and luckily I don't think they've caused me any real issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't giving me issues until recently. I was in denial for a little bit, but I know this is for the best.

      Delete
  3. Wearing the right foot wear is so important, both while running and when you're not. I try my best to wear supportive shoes when I'm on my feet all day at work. Sometimes its a lot easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoes with kitten heels are still fine, so I need to find cute shoes with kitten heels.

      Delete
  4. Those are fun looking shoes! What style are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are Brooks Adrenalines. I was fitted for the 14's last summer and got the 15's this month.

      Delete