Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday Musings 2/23

It's all about the weekend, linking up with Running N Reading, but today I have an ice day.  I've lined up movies and books (and yoga) for today.

This weekend was all about food.  It really was a great food weekend.  I made Goolash on Friday, which is pretty easy to make.  It's GREAT comfort food and I needed comfort food after last week.

Sautee one small onion in vegetable oil
Add one pound ground beef and brown
Once meat is browned, add 3/4 of a block of cheddar cheese, diced
Melt the cheese, then add 1 can diced or petite diced tomatoes
While the meat mixture is cooking, boil a box of preferred pasta
Combine pasta and meat mixture in casserole dish, crumble saltines over mixture and add sliced cheddar cheese on top of saltines
Bake at 400* for 15-20 minutes, when cheese is golden and bubbly

Saturday was absolutely fun.  A friend's parents came up from Austin and her mom showed a bunch of us how to make tamales.  Confession, I'd never had a tamale before Saturday, and what's better than homemade tamales?  Nothing that I could see.  We made pork, chicken, and fruit tamales since there was still masa left lever.  I basically ate all afternoon so didn't need much dinner.  I brought quite a bit home so it was lunch Sunday as well.

Start of the chicken tamales.  We made 14 dozen pork tamales
*****

Sunday: bike and strength training

Monday: yoga

Tuesday: 2.5 miles, intervals

Wednesday: HIIT core

Thursday: yoga

Friday: rest

Saturday:

14 comments:

  1. Yum Tamales, they are so good I haven't had one in ages:)
    Look at you up to 2.5 miles, so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy, even more so since my knee felt good. I have to do a lot to keep my leg loose but it's worth it.

      Delete
  2. Homemade tamales sounds great! I have only ever had them from a can and they were ok! I'm sure the homemade is ten times better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much better! It was a lot of work but there was 8 of us making them.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh, Lesley; homemade tamales are THE BEST! I lived in Mexico for six months (attending a university) and the woman I lived with made homemade tamales all the time; the fruit ones are so fun, right? I'm glad you were prepared for the ice day; hope you enjoy the relaxation and stay safe! Thanks so much for linking up with the blog today; hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fruit ones are. I think next time I'll have them do ones with chocolate chips.

      Delete
  4. Yum, that goulash sounds delish! Kind of like a beefy mac and cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite but it's the same kind of comfort food. It's a dish I grew up eating and made sure I got the recipe.

      Delete
  5. I love tamales! They are a staple where I am from especially around Christmas. They are very labor intensive though so I usually just buy them from one of them many people I know who make them. We use red and green chile and pork in the ones we make around here. Now i really need a tamale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually my first time eating tamales and what better way with homemade ones? My friend's mom also made some great salsa, with just enough kick for me.

      Delete
  6. When I was young (ages ago - ha ha) my Mother made Goolash. I don't remember it having saltine crackers but the other ingredients seem the same. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is too. This is an old recipe passed down through the family but I don't know who started it.

      Delete
  7. I've never had goolash or tamales! Sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good weekend for food, which is good since I'm going on day 2 of being iced in. I have yummy provisions in the fridge.

      Delete