Thursday, February 5, 2015

Classic Movies

First, happy birthday Mom!!

So y'all read how much we hated Foxcatcher.  I know it's got a couple Oscar nominations, but these days, I don't base anything off Oscar noms.  There's a blatant formula to get a movie nominated, actor nominated and an actress nominated.  I don't even like the movies up for best pictures, except the Grand Budapest Hotel.  It's quirky, somewhat lighthearted, and different than the others.  I watched it a few months ago and didn't even have Oscar on the brain.

That got me thinking about the "classic" movies I enjoy watching.  TCM has kicked off its 31 days of Oscar, and I'll have my DVR fired up during this month.  Already they had the Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.  The supporting cast is great, but the stars are heavyweights of the cinema.  They steal every scene they're in, and when they're together in a scene, bam!


Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday were movie days, if y'all can't tell.  I stayed in Thursday through Saturday to relax after the move and to be with Allie as she adjusted.  When a 7-lb cat holds you hostage on the sofa, you stay put.  Saturday I went with one of my favorite classic movies, Father Goose, starring Cary Grant and Leslie Caron.  If y'all haven't seen this movie, I highly, highly recommend it.  Cary Grant even stated his character in that movie was the closet to his own personality.  It was won the Oscar for best screenplay.

From Amazon: Cary Grant stars in one of his funniest roles as a boozy beachcomber sitting out WWII in peace until the Allies recruit him to be a lookout on the South Pacific isle. During an enemy attack, he answers a distress call and discovers a beautiful French schoolmarm (Leslie Caron) and her seven girl students. And so begins a hilarious battle of the sexes between the messy American, the prim mademoiselle and seven mischievous little girls. 


It makes me wonder when Oscars become so depressing.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, Lesley; totally forgot about the TCM Oscar filmathon they always do. Thanks so much for the reminder! I need to get on their website and figure out which ones I want to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured out which ones I want to record, but it's not as much as I thought for this year. I do have some on DVD so I can watch those whenever I want :)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen any of those movies. Always looking for a great movie to watch on these cold nights. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies are always good for cold nights. I keep seeing all the snow heading east and keep thinking movies and one-pot meals would be perfect.

      Delete
  3. I am not a classic movie watcher but you never know...there is something to be said about the old hashioned good morlas and wholesome goodness in those movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the code was ridiculous, but that meant writers had to be creative and witty. Some of those movies are brilliant.

      Delete
  4. I've got only two favorite classic movie and that is Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffany's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got only two favorite classic movie and that is Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffany's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do a filmathon? AWESOME!!!
    I have not seen Father Goose, I MUST!
    I love An Affair to Remember and That Touch of Mink, I am not sure if they would be considered classics but I like them, enough to own them:) I also have an awesome Doris Day collection:) My mom and I love some of her old movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd consider those classics. To me "classics" are movies made before the '70s, and I don't know why I chose up to the '70s.

      Delete
  7. Oh fun! I haven't watched any of these old movies in a long time. I love classic movies I have to remember this is on this weekend. #growyourblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stopped buying a lot of modern movies and have been getting classics more and more, and my Netflix reflects that too.

      Delete