Friday, February 13, 2015

5 Valentine's Day Movies

Friday Five with Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?!


I watch fun movies around Valentine's Day because I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day.  I don't think people should have to do something special just because it's Feb. 14.  It feels like an obligation and no fun at all.

1) Some Like It Hot - starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe.  Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis have to cross-dress and escape Chicago in an all-female band because they witnessed the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

2) When Harry Met Sally - Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.  A classic!  I know this is still a recent film, but it's a classic.  Who can quote from it?  I can.  "I'll have what she's having."

3) Roman Holiday - Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.  Audrey Hepburn plays a princess who is fed up with her cosseted and dictated lifestyle, escapes her guardians and experiences Rome.  The movie was shot in Rome, so the scenes aren't from backdrops made in Hollywood.  They're the real deal.

4) the Princess Bride - you didn't think I'd make this list and not have this movie ;-)

5) My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Nia Vardalos and John Corbett.  So I've never planned a wedding, but I know those who have.  After hearing the stress, planning, food, etc, I think this movie nails it.

14 comments:

  1. I loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding! It's been so long since I've seen it though! I like The Notebook and A Walk To Remember also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Greek Wedding during the Super Bowl last year. It's such a good movie.

      Delete
  2. My favorite on your list is My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I think the Dad is right about Windex! It does work for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I missed it in theaters but my parents and I got it when it was released on DVD. Then I got my own copy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You too! I hope you have a fun Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  4. When I taught 7th grade Language Arts the kids would watch the Princess Bride every year. Not sure what part of the curriculum that was a part of but just something I guess they did every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! My schools never did anything fun like that. If we watched movies in class, it was based on a book we read.

      Delete
  5. I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding! "Just put a little Windex on it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the end when John Corbett got rid of his zit with Windex.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love Roman Holiday:) I haven't seen that one in years, that would be a great one to watch tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too. when I was in Rome, I had to go to the Mouth of Truth (me and every other tourist)

      Delete
  7. I love When Harry Met Sally and The Princess Bride! I could watch those two over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I warn people, if it's the first time they've seen the movie, I'm not the best movie buddy. I will be quoting.

      Delete