Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wednesday Bookworm: A Royal Likeness

Every once in a while, I'll come across a book, put it back, but whenever I'm in a bookstore, I pick it up again, then finally buy it after doing that a few times.  That was how I bought A Royal Likeness.  I just couldn't decide if I wanted to read it, then I bought it a couple days before traveling.  I knew I needed something to read to pass the time in the airport and on the plane.  What started as just needing something to read turned out to be quite an interesting book, though maybe some events were a little far-fetched.  I still enjoyed it, and would recommend it.  This was how I was introduced to Christine Trent's books, and I've been reading them ever since.  She's written both historical novels and mysteries.


As heiress to the famous Laurent Fashion Dolls business, Marguerite Ashby's future seems secure. But France still seethes with violence in the wake of the Revolution. And when Marguerite's husband is killed during a riot, the young widow travels to Edinburgh and becomes apprentice to her old friend, Marie Tussaud, who has established a wax exhibition. When Prime Minister William Pitt commissions a wax figure of Admiral Nelson, Marguerite becomes immersed in a dangerous adventure - and earns the admiration of two very different men. And as Britain battles to overthrow Napoleon, Marguerite will find her loyalties under fire from all sides. With a masterful eye for details, Christine Trent brings one of history's most fascinating eras to life in of a story of desire, ambition, treachery, and courage.

2 comments:

  1. So many awesome books, I have so little time:) Actually I am looking for something fun to listen to while I am running, I am just about finished with the current book I am listening to. I am going to have to see if my library has this in an audio version, I love historical novels!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE historical novels. I like Christine Trent's because she doesn't write what's "in", and that gives me a breathe of fresh air. My favorite of hers is the one she wrote after A Royal Likeness, By the King's Design.

      Delete