Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Running During the Week

I don't have any solid race plans other than focus on a 5k.

Instead, I'll write about how I got over my addled brain and figured out my new workout schedule.  I really tried to figure out my new workout schedule this past Thursday, but I was so tired after being back from break.  Since I work at a Texas public university, I get about 2 weeks off between Christmas and New Year's, and it's always interesting when I get back.  My brain hasn't been on work at all, and then it has to.  I couldn't figure out how I was doing to get 3 runs in each week, strength training, yoga and rest days.

Finally I figured it out.  I've been taking 2 full rest days, but I've decided to make one of those yoga.  It's still something, but it's not impactful and still rather restful, but it won't be a full rest day.  Friday will absolutely be my rest day.  I've tried in the past to workout on Fridays but I just mentally can't swing it.  I'm ready for the weekend and I am tired.

The first guide I bought to help with HIIT
Running will be Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, strength training will be Sundays and Wednesdays, and yoga will be Mondays.  I feel that's a good schedule, and even though I need to figure out what the run days during the week will entail, it's a good start. 

Tuesdays on the Run with April, Patty, and Erika.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good schedule! It's so hard trying to balance running, strength and yoga all at once, I think you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken two rest days each week for years. It's a shift but I think I can do it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great schedule, Lesley! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works. I have to fit yoga into my schedule to keep myself doing it.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a really good schedule! I've done yoga on rest days and still felt like it gave my body enough of a break. I hope it works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel good yesterday. It's flowing and I can feel it helping my muscles.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great schedule! I really really need to add yoga back into my workout calendar. I feel so much better when I do it; I have no idea why I resist just making it happen. Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do yoga for such a long time. I'd do it, then stop, try again, then stop again. I think by having a set day to do yoga and doing it at home, I'll stick with it. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a really great schedule!
    I am quite a bit like you, I enjoy and do better with a 6 day workout schedule, but also like your planning I like one of those 6 days to be a tad lighter or different than the other days.
    Good luck with Yoga, since your coming off an injury take it slow and who knows it might be a great thing to help aid in your recovery:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to make it 6 days with my increase in running, but it looks like it'll work well with yoga. I just need a couple more yoga DVDs to keep things fresh.

      Delete