Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas Movies

Since I knew my post for Christmas TV episodes would be long, I split my favorite Christmas movies into a separate post.


Love Actually - enough said (at least I think so).  I saw this movie in the theater and loved it.  I've watched it every Christmas since.  I love it so much I feel every big ensemble movie that comes out for a holiday are Love Actually wannabes and are nowhere near the quality.

Muppet Christmas Carol - another one I saw in the theater, and got on VHS before graduating to DVD.  It's the first movie the Muppet Studio produced after Jim Henson's death, and it is quite true to the book.  Gonzo and Rizzo serve as the narrators, and Michael Caine is great as Scrooge.

Miracle on 34th Street - the original, in black and white.  It definitely pushes Macy's, but I love the story.  Kris Kringle is hired to be Santa Claus in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and is maintained as Santa Claus during the holidays.  When the store's psychiatrist has him institutionalized, a lawyer takes on his case to prove he really is Santa Claus.


the Santa Clause - "The Santa Clause: In putting on the suit and entering the sleigh, the wearer waives any and all right to any previous identity, real or implied, and fully accepts the duties and responsibilities of Santa Claus, in perpetuity to which some time the wearer becomes unable to do so, by either accident or design."

the Holiday - two women switch houses (and countries) during the holidays when each needs a break from her life to recharge.  I much prefer the storyline with Kate Winslet and Jack Black, but Jude Law is easy on the eyes :-) It's also got the great Eli Wallach.

the Man Who Came to Dinner - years ago, PBS showed a broadcast of the Broadway play, starring Nathan Lane and Jean Smart.  It's centered around an acerbic radio personality who is housebound in Ohio after slipping on ice on the steps of the same house he's now stuck in.  He proceeds to wreak havoc within the household and also sue the homeowner for the ice.


Elf - in a bit of a spoof or homage to Rudolph, Will Farrell stars as Buddy, a human who climbed into Santa's gift bag as a baby, and was raised as an elf at the north pole.  When Buddy finally finds out he's a human, and where he can find his father, he sets out to New York City, where the spirit of Christmas is suffering in the real world.

a Christmas Carol - Alistair Sim stars as Scrooge, in what I believe is the most loyal adaptation to Dickens's book.  There are a few minor additions, but they add to the storyline, and let me tell you, the Spirit of Christmas Future is quite creepy looking in black and white.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love THE HOLIDAY, and ELF is always a favorite! I have never seen Love Actually but I have heard a lot about it this year from several bloggers. I guess I better put it on the list of movies to watch this season! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to watch Love Actually! It was automatically in my Christmas viewing once I got the DVD.

      Delete