Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Bookworm Wednesday: the Courtier's Secret

Published in 2009, the Courtier's Secret by Donna Russo Morin came out during a time of Tudor fiction hysteria (in my opinion).  Half the books I read during a 2-year period had something to do with the Tudors, and this one and a couple other books were a breath of fresh air.


France, 1682.  Louis XIV, the Sun King, is at the height of his power, his court dazzles with opulent glory.  For many privileged young women, Versailles is a paradise.  For others, it is a gilded and bejeweled cage.  Jeanne Yvette Mas du Bois is unlike most other courtiers and the flavor of decadence tastes bitter upon her tongue.  Her thirst for knowledge and purpose entices her father's brutal wrath, but her Uncle Jules encourages Jeanne's independence, secretly teaching her the art of the sword in the palace's labyrinthine basement...

When two of the king's Musketeers are beset by criminals who are mere feet from Jeanne's fencing lesson, she intervenes, saving one of the Musketeers' lives.  Hidden behind her mask, Jeanne is mistaken for a man.  As "Jean Luc," Jeanne is admitted to an inner circle where she learns of an assassination plot against the Queen.  As Jean Luc, she is permitted to bring her intelligence and swordsmanship to bear.  And as Jean Luc, she is free to love the mean of her choosing... even if she can never have him.  Now, with the Queen in jeopardy, and her own double life making her privy to the tangled intrigues at court, Jeanne is in a powerful - yet increasingly perilous - position.

When I discovered this book, I hadn't really found any fiction set in France during the reign of Louis XIV.  The details in the book bring Versailles to life, and research obviously went into finding out what the courtiers' lives were like, the fashion that was in, and what it takes to fence.

Jeanne herself is spirited, yet her spirit clashes with her father, who is trying to gain prestige with the King and fears she will embarrass the family.  She is very much a 21st-century woman but her surroundings dictate she be a simpering female.  I'm drawn to books with strong heroines, and this one is no exception.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems a little over my head. Like something we would have had to read in school. I am more of a Danielle Steel sappy love novel type..haha. -L

    After I sent this the first time I realized I had too many misspelled words. That's why I deleted it and rewrote my comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a sucker for history, if I love the subject, I'll read novels about it. But it has to be easy reading. I couldn't get through Dickens in high school, so I can't deal with heavy reading now.

      Delete
  3. I do enjoy historical fiction! I go through phases, sometimes I'll read a bunch of historical, and then I'll switch over to sci fi or fantasy. I am going through a creepy phase right now, LOL Meaning I am enjoying reading a few "darker" type books. I know so perfect for the holidays, haha..
    But When I get to my historical phase again, this one looks like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all 4 of her novels. Her last one is more of a fantasy, so you might enjoy it. It's called the King's Agent.

      Delete