Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tough Conditions

Linking up with April, Patty, and Erika.


 TOTR this week is running in tough conditions.  I've talked about my college lacrosse days, when I had to survive cold, snow and sleet, but I was lucky.  I was the one who had to keep running, therefore, I kept warm.  But what about spectating in tough conditions?  We've most likely all be there.  Scream teaming for races, for those with kids, spectating kids' games, and outdoor sports games for pros, college, friends, etc.  That's when the cold is unbearable.  I can throw on as many layers as I can, but if I'm not moving, I get cold.

I love my UGGs, but my feet can still get cold if I'm watching a game.  The past few springs, FC Dallas has kicked off its season in March.  This past home opener, it was 39 degrees and falling at kickoff.  When the sun goes down, when it's not summer, it can get chilly.  I have so many layers on, I can barely walk.


The two bad experiences I had in high school were my freshman and sophomore years.  For the first, I was in band the first two years, and we had to be at the Thanksgiving football game if we weren't out of town.  The bad experience was freshman year.  It was cold, gray, windy, and rainy.  And we had to be there.  It was awful.  They finally let us go after the third quarter, and my parents promptly took me home, and ordered me to shower and drain the hot water tank if I wanted to.

The second experience was further north.  We liked to go to the men's soccer games for the college where my dad used to be on the faculty.  We traveled up to a college called Colby-Sawyer for the game and to quote Dr. Evil, "it was frickin' freezing!"  I didn't have UGGs at that point, so I just put a few layers of socks on, and I had my big ski parka, which still didn't give much warmth.  The field was on a hill, so the wind was really making things cold.  To top it off, the game went into OT.  I'm not joking when I saw it took me a couple days to thaw from that experience.


All that is to say, I've been lucky when it comes to races I do, and I'm a chicken when the weather turns.  Since this is TX, I made peace with the treadmill when I moved here.  The heat is killer, whether it's during the day or after the sun goes down.  Wind comes ripping down from Canada, and I'm grouchy enough to curse the weather and just not put up with it if I don't want to.  I had to in college, and now I don't :-)

8 comments:

  1. This race in vegas was a little cooler than I expected but other than that I hadn't really had any bad weather runs. Lacey on the other hand had some awful conditions for Shamrock and the 14K last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it would depend where I was. If it was a race in DFW, I would consider skipping it if the weather was bad. If I traveled to a race, I'd really have to think about it.

      Delete
  2. Although I love having all 4 seasons, for some reason this year I am not loving the cooler temps yet either!
    I haven't had the best luck in racing I've had to run races in pretty much any type of weather, you name it. But oddly, when look back at some of the races in what was some of the craziest weather I find they are now some of my favorites, even if they definitely were miserable at the time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too soon, but I'll consider DFW lucky. I saw Buffalo got 6 feet of snow and it's still coming.

      Delete
  3. As a Floridian, I like the cold better than the heat, but recognize that I define "the cold" as temperatures between 50 and 60. Anything under 50 and I'm totally miserable and unprepared (I have no running tights!). Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one year at Disney, it was chilly but nothing us New Englanders couldn't handle. Every Floridian was apologzing, and we'd point to the ESPN Club's big screen with the Patriots and Colts in the snow bowl and say that's where we're from.

      Delete
  4. I don't mind running even when it's single digits, but I'm whining like nobody's business if it's under 50 and I'm watching the kiddo's soccer game LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much easier to stay warm if I"m running around. Standing makes it so hard to stay warm. Once my toes feel frozen, I'm done.

      Delete