Thursday, November 6, 2014

Establishing a Schedule

Now that I was discharged from Airrosti, and I'm getting stronger at PT, I've been trying to keep a schedule that allows me to run twice a week.  I'm still running below 2 miles at a time, but aside from some discomfort now and then, I can generally run twice a week.  My PT therapist said it might feel like the rust is coming off at times when I'm running (hence the occasional discomfort), but I need to keep up a consistent running schedule.

Right now I'm running once on the weekends and then once during the week.  Normally PT is on Wednesdays so at the moment I'm trying to have a Saturday/Tuesday schedule with PT and strength training thrown in on other days.  I might even bike once a week to have a third day of cardio.  I was told at Airrosti that building mileage would take time and I need to be smart about what I'm running.  Isn't that the truth.  I've done 1.5 miles consistently, and the day I was ready to push the distance just a little bit more, I got enough discomfort in my knee that I stopped at 1.5.  Oy! 

I will state flat out patience is not a virtue I possess.  At all.  I've always been rushing to do things (quickly!) so this slow building goes against every fiber of my being.  The only thing I can do is not schedule a race until I know I'm absolutely ready to run that distance.  That means running that distance consistently for a couple weeks before looking at the running event calendar for my town and towns near me.  That mostly likely means the Santa Claws and Paws 5k is off the table :(  But it's for the best (try telling my pride that).

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you recover well. It is so hard to take the time of when you need to while recovering from an injury. I have been dealing with IT band issues. And I told myself I will not run for a few days to see how I feel. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITBS is the devil! I didn't take the time to rest a few days while I was training last year and I'm definitely paying for it.

      Delete
  2. I totally and completely feel and understand your pain!!!! Patience is and never has been one of my virtue's either, for me too it was forced on me while I was going through the past 2 years.
    Keep up your good attitude, I know it might take some time, but your doing the right thing play it safe and recover! I have no doubt that one day you'll be back at it as you want to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the same time I'm also building back strength in my legs. I can feel it at PT and I can feel it during yoga.

      Delete