Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Cold Weather Running

Tuesdays on the Run, linking up with April, Patty, and Erika, with cold weather running.  How fitting since the NYC marathon was quite chilly.  I can protect against the cold, but wind just cuts through so much.


Cold weather running was my forte.  When you play a spring sport in college in the northeast, it's technically a winter sport.  Pre-season would start the first Monday back from winter break, and believe me, we preferred to be outside.  Plus my coach played lacrosse at Middlebury.  I'd consider that the tundra compared to the Boston suburbs.  Her mantra was there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.  I'd have so many layers on I felt like the Michelin tire guy, but with those layers and running at practice, I stayed warm.

The place to start is a good base layer.  I had Under Armour during college, the heavy winter gear, and I made sure my top came with the "turtle neck."  I wouldn't wear scarves, but I needed my neck to be warm.  Heavy winter leggings too.  I know some people balk at those prices but my first season was in 2004, and I still have those UA pieces.  They're still in one piece and work wonderfully.


The next layer was sweatpants and a hoodie sweatshirt over the UA layer.  Some days I'd add a down vest over the sweatshirt since my upper body gets colder more than my legs.  The leggings and sweatpants are enough for my legs, especially when I get running.

Most importantly are gloves and a hat.  You lose so much body heat through your head, but I've always hated winter hats.  I much prefer the winter headbands that cover my ears and forehead. I felt that kept me sufficiently warm, and then since it was lacrosse, I had Brine's heavy duty gloves for the winter.  I always wore gloves to protect my hands, but the usual gloves weren't anywhere near close enough to what I needed to keep my hands warm.  Part of me thinks I have bad circulation because my fingers get cold so easily.

Most importantly, hydrate!  People tend to think since it's not hot, they don't have to hydrate as much.  Wrong!  It's just as important, if not moreso, to hydrate in the cold.  Even if you don't feel thirsty, drink water.

18 comments:

  1. Great tips! My boyfriend has a similar Under Armor top...I need to invest in a pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quality lasts a long time. I still get use out of them during the Texas winter.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! I'm not so good about hydration in the winter..carrying water with me when it's subzero is a tough sell!

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely difficult but I figure out ways. I don't want to get dehydrated because then I get killer headaches.

      Delete
  3. Agreed! Under armour is great! I used to always wear that thr beginning of track season in the spring. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have one Nike top with thumb holes. That's for when I don't think I need neck protection.

      Delete
  4. This post was so perfectly timed for me today you have no idea:)
    I woke up to a lovely 31 degree's to do my run in today and I thought I had dressed warm enough and well lets just say I was fine until this icy breeze came up and I realized my mistake... Guess it's been a while, so lesson learned!
    Also, love your tip on drinking water in the winter! You know what is strange is a lot of people really don't think they need to, but your right it is very important to do so!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coach always stressed about hydrating when we were out on the turf.

      Delete
  5. Its so important to hydrate no matter how warm or cold it is outside. Its sad that more people don't realize that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. But the protocol to follow in the heats is the same in the cold. Water and electrolytes are still needed.

      Delete
  6. I've found that for exercise clothing and gear, you really do get what you pay for. Cheap stuff either doesn't work well or doesn't last (or both!) while paying a little extra up front for the good stuff means you're using it a decade later! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuff like that is always worth the investment, especially when it's stuff to keep me warm.

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree with the "you get what you pay for". I have a running jacket that's expensive, but it's kept me warm through some ridiculous winters and still looks great.

    I'm awful about hydrating though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold weather gear is the best to splurge for. I hate being cold, even though I lived in cold regions for 15 years. I'm still in a cold region because winters in Dallas can be doozies.

      Delete
  8. Great tips, especially the hydrating. People way too often forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then it gets dangerous. If I'm running in the cold, I set intervals for drinking water. It could be every quarter mile, every half mile, but I make sure I drink at each one.

      Delete
  9. I love the mantra "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." so true! having the right winter gear can make or break winter training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I have to be outside, I want to be as warm as possible. I've been in the cold with out proper winter gear and have been miserable.

      Delete