Thursday, October 23, 2014

New Foam Roller

Ahh, foam roller, how do I love thee.  OK, I don't think LOVE is the correct term, but it's a vital tool for long distance running.  I really needed a new one since my old one was rather concave in the middle.  You could tell how long I had it and how much I used it.  With all the kinks I've needed to work out, I was in the market for a new one.  Since 3 aren't enough.






Or rather 4, since I have one at work too.  Which might also need replacing.


I'd been delaying replacing my main foam roller but I felt a small twinge in my knee on Tuesday.  I did 1.5 miles just fine on Sunday and nothing felt tired or sore on Monday, so the twinge startled me.  I was walking down a flight of stairs I use at work every day, and the twinge came when I hit the bottom step.  It wasn't bad, but it was enough that I felt it.  I knew I needed to stop by my LRS that day to get a new foam roller.  I'd been putting that off for whatever reason, but now I knew I couldn't delay anymore. 

I got the same style Airrosti had me using, and it's pretty sturdy and gives me the resistance I need.  I've been working through some sore spots below my knee, almost on my upper calf, so it's below where my troubles have been.  That's OK though, sometimes Airrosti would work that spot so I'm just trying to keep up with things.  Airrosti's been great, but I only want to go back as a maintenance check up.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried one of these. But it sounds like they really work. I hope this continues to help you heal and get back to your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I replaced the white one in the above picture. It's really good and rolling out the knots but it can be uncomfortable until that knot is loosened.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen one like this before. I hope it helps get you back up and running ( literally)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they stressed. Foam rolling, using a lacrosse ball to get deeper into any existing knots, and then stretching. I'm good at stretching :)

      Delete