Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Etiquette is Necessary

Tuesdays on the run, linking up with April, Patty, and Erika.


Today's topic is running etiquette and pet peeves.  It's always important to be aware of your surroundings as a runner, and to let other runners know where you are.  A lot of us wear headphones while we're running.  It helps pass the time and I know it helps me get into a rhythm, but at the same time, I do zone out.  Simple etiquette cues like "on your left/right" to let someone know you're passing, and if you're the runner out in front and coming up on a walking interval, look around before you stop running.  I've had to turn into a cartoon character a couple times and go WAY up on my tippy toes to avoid crashing into someone who just stopped running.


Mostly, I've got pet peeves, and they happen at the gym, a lot.  I try to keep my volume at a reasonable level to keep good habits both in the gym and outside the gym.  If I'm upstairs on the treadmill and I can hear a person lifting weights while sounding like a dying moose, cut the grunting.  I'm upstairs, on the treadmill, with headphones on and I can still hear that grunting.  It's not necessary and it won't let that person lift the too-heavy-weights they're using.  Another huge pet peeve of mine is when they throw down the weights, like a punctuation mark.  I go to LA Fitness locations in DFW, and all of the ones I've been to have signs saying don't throw down the weights.  People still do.  I don't live in California so I don't have to experience earthquakes, but I'm pretty sure these weights getting thrown down would register on the Richter scale.  I lived through an earthquake while on vacation in Cali and it scared the crap out of me.  So please, weight lifters, don't take turns at being the San Andreas fault.

What other etiquette tips/pet peeves do y'all have?

10 comments:

  1. Clever post! I don't go to the gym but the weight lifters there seem to be a pet peeve of many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the people who are lifting weights they have no business lifting. I've seen people lifting weights they can lift and they're quiet.

      Delete
  2. People throwing weights is the worst. Also, if you aren't going to actually use the machine for its intended purpose and instead are going to just sit and text or do whatever else on your phone, please get up and let others use the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thankfully the current gym I go to doesn't have that, but I've dealt with that in the past.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness YES! I clearly remember 2010's Wine & Dine Half...it was one of Jeff Galloway's first runDisney events as the "official" runDisney guru. I quickly learned that if I heard a watch beeping around me, someone was going to be walking very soon! I have nothing against this method at all, but stopping and walking in the middle of the course kinda annoys me and has almost tripped me up way too many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be agile and move around people in the beginning but not near the end. My muscles feel like jello and I'm tired.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, love this post!!! Totally agree on the weight throwing, I never get that. I mean they just lifted it and clearly could, what is the point in tossing it???
    I don't like the Bluetooth talkers, because generally they are pretty loud and frankly I just don't like listening to one end of other peoples conversations, sometimes I think they do it on purpose, its like they think they are so cool they are talking via bluetooth or something??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or cell phones. If someone is next to me, on their phone, I'll hear their side of the conversation through my music. Ugh!

      Delete
  5. Love your Mulan screenshot! I've had to do that same maneuver a few times due to abrupt stopping on the race course! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I always think of. I have to stop real sudden but I still have momentum carrying me forward.

      Delete